Sharing, sharing sharing... that is what it is all about.
The word “communication” comes from the Latin word “communis,” which means “to share.”
So anytime you’re communicating, you’re simply sharing and that is pretty easy, right?
Here are some golden rules for sharing appropriately...
- Who are you communicating to?
- Do the sanity check. If you are unsure, then put it in away and come back to it later. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
- Don't make your arguments or grievances public. If you have an issue with someone, don't thrash it out on social media.
- Are you adding value? This underpins everything. If it isn't helping your audience in some way, it probably isn't worth doing.
- Personal is good but be careful about oversharing. We don't need to know the in's and out's of EVERYTHING. Context is ok but do it mindfully.
- Be clear ('in' jokes and trying to be too clever doesn't translate). People have short attention spans and busy lives. Don't make them have to work hard to understand what you are saying.
- Be you!
Don't over complicate it. Avoid feelings of overwhelm by focussing on these main points.
What are your challenges when it comes to communication? If you have any questions, thoughts or musings, don't be shy, I'd love to hear from you. Pop them in the comments below, join me on social media or use good old email.